External consultant for Health Assessment Project in Togo
MdM Project ToR Assessment in Togo
External consultant for Health Assessment Project in Togo
In 2012 MdM started a project in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the national midwives school in Lomé, Togo, to improve the education of midwives with a focus on midwife services in rural areas. The young midwife students should be better qualified for a working environment in rural areas by improving the conditions for their education at the schools and during the practical trainings phases. Currently MdM is working closely with the three midwife schools in Togo: in Lomé, the capital and in the north and centre of the country (in Kara and Sokodé). MdM provides training to the teachers and equips the schools with necessary training material. A main focus is put on the practical training of the students at the health facilities. The current support to the midwifery schools ends in April 2019 and in order to further strengthen the reproductive health (RH) care services in Kara (or Sokodé) MdM Germany is seeking for an external consultant to conduct an assessment.
Objective of the Assessment
The assessment shall identify existing barriers to access high quality RH care services on primary health care level in the region of Kara (or Sokodé). Based on the results of the assessment a community based intervention strategy for the next three years shall be proposed taking into consideration MdM’s current programme in Togo
The assessment is expected to provide among others the following information:
- What health services are available and who provides them (government, National NGOs, INGOs, private providers)?
- Number of qualified RH staff at health facilities
- What structural and traditional barriers exist for pregnant and lactating mothers in accessing RH health services?
- Specify status of equipment and available medication at HF in terms of SRH services.
- Determine potential health facilities to be targeted according to identified needs
- What is the proportion of deliveries by skilled personnel at HF versus deliveries by unskilled personnel
- What other stakeholders and donors are present in the region taking into consideration funding opportunities for MdM (GIZ)?
These lists of issues are not exhaustive. The consultant is required to use its professional judgement and experience to review all relevant factors and to bring these to the attention of MdM Germany.
- Literature/secondary data review: literature review and analysis of existing data which includes review of data from various stakeholders (health authorities, MdM)
- Focus group discussions and key informant interviews with beneficiaries, health representatives of MoH at national and local level, responsible staff at midwife schools and health facilities, donors and other stakeholders
- Health data analysis of the health facilities in the target area
The consultant will be responsible for developing and presenting a sound methodology. The draft methodology will be submitted before the departure of the Consultant and discussed between MdM Germany and the Consultant.
The consultant will receive all relevant documents from MdM Germany for its preparatory work and a briefing at MdM Germany HQ as well as with the General Coordinator of MdM Germany in Togo is foreseen in order to discuss the objective and work plan of this consultancy.
Management of the Assessment
One consultant will be contracted in a open tender process.
The consultants will receive all relevant documents from MdM for its preparatory work and a briefing with MdM HQ and the Coordinator in Lomé is foreseen in order to discuss the objective and workplan of this consultancy.
A detailed itinerary for the in-country work will be developed by the consultant in cooperation with MdM at least two weeks prior to departure.
MdM will organise transport and accommodation to and within Togo and will provide administrative support. Interviews and group discussions will be organised by MdM in cooperation with the relevant authorities.
- Concept note with Power Point Presentation describing the finally agreed methodological approach as well as work plan
- Debriefing Note (2 pages) in French and German with summarised findings and draft recommendations will be distributed to MdM Germany during a debriefing session
- Final assessment report in French: - max. 50 pages with annexes. One electronic and 2 bound hardcopies incl. recommendations on intervention strategy.
The assessment report and all background documentation will be property of MdM and will be disseminated as appropriate.
Location of the Assessment
The assessment will be carried out in Togo, Lomé and intended rural project area(s).
The assessment should be conducted between 01st Oct 2018 and 30th Nov 2018.
Field phase (Togo): btw mid of Oct – Nov 2018
Final report: End of November 2016
Desk review, briefing: 4 days;
Travel: 2 days; Assessment in Togo: 12 days; Reporting: 5 days;
Total: 23 days
The evaluator requires the following skills:
- advanced university degree in public health, medecin, reproductive health, or relevated topic
- minimum of 5 years of proven experience on humanitarian programming and assessment
- professional experience with international NGOs, with focus on medical programmes
- strong analytical skills and self-sufficient way of working
- Working language will be French. Relevant documents are in German, too.
Tenders and Evaluation Management
Bids must include:
• An application describing the methodological approach as well as the management and reporting arrangements which the consultant will employ to ensure oversight of the team. A work plan and timetable is expected.
• Comments and suggestions on this ToR
• CV and details of previous work experience on similar surveys
• Financial proposal
• Indication of the date from which the consultant will be available
APPLICATIONTenders should be submitted electronically to MdM by the closing date of 10.09.2018 to:
Martina Enax - Phone: +49 (0)89 4523081-17
Ärzte der Welt e.V./MdM Germany, Leopoldstr. 236, 80807 München, Germany