Field Coordinator for Donetsk Region
Field Coordinator for Health Project in Ukraine
Field Coordinator for Donetsk Region
The humanitarian aid organization Ärzte der Welt e. V. is the German division of the international network Médecins du Monde/Doctors of the World (MdM). The 16 national members of the network implement domestic and international health care projects, currently almost 340 projects in 75 countries around the world.
MdM provides emergency medical aid in disaster and crisis situations, supports access to health care and, if possible, assists with reconstruction measures. The network is also active in risk reduction and preparedness as well as long-term development co-operations in neglected regions around the world that receive little public attention. MdM ensures that its health services are provided equally to the most vulnerable citizens, refugees, internally displaced people and host communities, regardless of their ethnic, social, religious or political background.
MdM has been operating in Eastern Ukraine since 2015, targeting the most vulnerable communities and people affected by the ongoing conflict by improving access and quality of health care services for the population in Luhansk Oblast and Donetsk Oblast. MdM maintains a coordination office in Kiev and field offices in Severodonetsk (Luhansk Oblast) and Bakhmut (Donetsk Oblast). The programme is currently implemented around three main components: direct delivery of healthcare services through multidisciplinary mobile units, including primary healthcare services (PHC), sexual and reproductive health (SRH), and Mental Health and Psychosocial support services (MHPSS); strengthening of local health system through capacity building of health and non-health staff, awareness raising and advocacy; support to the health system in response to COVID-19 pandemics in Eastern Ukraine.
From 2021 onwards the programme is designed to address the humanitarian-development nexus by linking the humanitarian assistance with transitional aid/development activities resulting in sustainable access to comprehensive primary health care services in communities affected by the conflict.
In support of our work in Donetsk Oblast (GCA and NGCA), MdM is looking for an experienced Field Coordinator (national or international) based in Bakhmut (Donetsk Oblast). The Field Coordinator is responsible for the overall coordination of the base, management of the team, the implementation of the programme, the management of security and the relationships with partners.
- Ensure timely implementation of the programme in Donestk Oblast according to approved plans and budgets, including monitoring of activities.
- Overall coordination and supervision of the programme and the field office in Donetsk Oblast including personnel, fixed assests, financial assets and other ressources in accordance to MdM procedures and regulations.
- Continiously assess the needs and adjust the programme to the needs in collaboration with the coordination team.
- Provide programmatic input during inception and implementation of the planned programme. Ensure proactive collaboration, mutualisation, coordination and analysis with other projects if needed
- Ensure proper and regular reporting according to donor and MdM standard.
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure correct utilisation of MdM and Donor procurement guidelines as well as MdM internal guidelines on HR procedures, finance (budget control, financial forecast) and administration.
- By delegation from and in close coordination with the country coordinator, represent MdM and maintain/build good relationships with local communities, local authorities and international and national organisations represented in Donetsk Oblast.
- Contribute to the definition / revision of the MdM strategy in Ukraine, draw up scenarios and proposals, and support the budget creation/revision for future/new projects in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments.
- Where relevant, contribute to recruitment and selection of staff .
- Provide good working conditions for all team members and create a “team spirit” among the staff.
- Contribute to the update of the security package and annexes in cooperation with the Security Advisor at HQ and ensure that field security plans and rules are communicated, known and respected.
- Assess continuously the humanitarian and security situation in the field and timely inform the general coordinator.
Hierarchical & Functional links
The Field Coordinator reports directly to the General Coordinator. S/he manages the programme team of 17 to 20 staff members in Donetsk Oblast (GCA) with the technical support of the country coordination team (medical coordinator, mental health coordinator, logistics coordinator, administrative coordinator).
Your professional profile
- Master degree in Development/Humanitarian studies, Public Health, or equivalent,
- Minimum 5 years of working expierence in planning, implementing and managing humanitarian or development aid projects within the health sector,
- Very good understanding of the Triple Nexus and expierence in translation the Nexus on an operational level,
- Strong project management skills and expierence including project planing, proposal development and report writing,
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the project cycle management,
- Very good practical experience on participatory approaches,
- Expierence in working with German (GFFO, BMZ, GIZ) and international donors (ECHO, BHA/OFDA, CBPF),
- At least three years expierence at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team,
- An understanding of logistics and good experience in budget management,
- Expierence in security management at the field site level,
- Fluency in English (written and verbaly). Ukrainian/Russian and/or German are strong assets,
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office.
Your personal profile
- Capacity to live and work in challenging conditions (proximity to an armed conflict, unstable situation for NGOs),
- High level of mental and physical resilience and ability to cope with a high level of workload,
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations,
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities and adaptability to changing priorities,
- Strong communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively motivate people, listen and to diplomatically manage the relationship with local partners and different authorities.
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- You are comitted to MdM’s values.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Starting date: 01.02.2021
Length of the contract: 12 months with possibility to extend
Duty station: Bakhmut with visits to other field locations.
Salary: according to qualification and experience and MdM Germany’s terms and conditions
For questions regarding the post, please contact Julia Brunner
+49 (0)89 45 23 081 297
Please send your application to:
Further information about our data protection guidelines for applications can be found here.